Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Training For All


My last workshop was a resounding success. Aside from starting almost 3 hours late, which we can easily discount as expected, we had good turnout, we were able to get through the entire curriculum including all the hands-on skills stations, and the participants seemed to learn a lot. I noted at the beginning of the workshop that there seemed to be quite a wide spectrum of knowledge and skills amongst the participants. One participant in particular seemed to have a poorer command of English, so I tried to ensure that he had understood each point before moving on. I spent extra time with him at the skills stations. At the end of the course, I was gratified to see that his score had increased from about 20% on the pre-test to 55% on the post-test. Despite the language barrier, he had learned a significant number of the objectives of the course.

Later, I was entering in the data into my spreadsheet of participants, and I burst out laughing. Everyone working nearby stared at me. I helplessly continued to giggle while re-reading the sign-in sheet from the workshop: the participant I had struggled to train in neonatal resuscitation was the health center’s security guard.

Post-script: we had also trained the lab tech and the lab assistant. The lab tech scored 30% both before and after the course, but the lab assistant finished the course with a score of 80% (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment